Recent Fire Damage Posts

Prevent Kitchen Fires

4/4/2022 (Permalink)

Removing every possible source that could cause a kitchen fire is impossible, but it can be minimized. Here are a few tips on how to prevent a kitchen fire:

  • Unplug electrical appliances when not in use. Appliances such as toaster ovens, coffee makers, etc... Just in case the wiring is old or faulty and causes a fire.
  • Smoke Detectors. Install smoke detectors near the kitchen. That way it isn't triggered by small steam or smoke, but will sense an actual kitchen fire.
  • Do NOT use metal in the microwave. The metal causes sparks in the microwave. It can damage the microwave, as well as start a fire.
  • Do not overfill pots or pans with oil or grease. The hot oil or grease can spill or splatter and cause a fire.
  • Never leave cooking food unattended. Make sure to always stay in the kitchen when something is cooking, especially at very high heat. Make sure to turn the stove or oven off if you have to take an important phone call that could distract you or if you need to leave the house.

Common Causes of House Fires

4/1/2022 (Permalink)

A home can easily catch fire in many different ways. Here are some of the most common causes:

  1. Cooking Equipment. Pots and pans can overheat and can easily cause a fire if the person cooking gets distracted.
  2. Heating Appliances. Portable heaters should be kept at least one yard away from anything that could easily catch on fire.
  3. Smoking. A cigarette that has not been put out properly can cause a small flame that could be lit for a few hours. If the flame comes into contact with any flammable materials it can cause flames to burst.
  4. Candles. Yes, we all want our homes to look and smell pretty, but never leave a room with a burning candle. Keep candles away from anything flammable. Blow candles out before leaving the room and going to bed.
  5. Faulty Wiring. Inadequate wiring causes fires. If your lights are dim when using other appliances, fuses blow the circuit frequently, or if the appliance only works by having to disconnect another then you may have bad wiring. Contact a licensed electrician if you have any of these occurrences. 
  6. Barbecues. These are great for outdoor cooking and meals. Make sure to keep barbecues away from home, tablecloths, and any plants or tree branches. Check the gas tank for any leaks before using it.
  7. Lighting. Lampshades build up the heat if they are too close to the light bulbs. Keep lamps in areas where they can not be easily knocked over.
  8. Christmas Trees. Real Christmas trees tend to dry out over time, and by the end of the holiday season. They can cause a very serious flash fire. A hot light or a spark can immediately set the tree aflame, and cause fires to spread quickly.

Are You Prepared for a Wildfire?

2/1/2022 (Permalink)

Wildfires are unpredictable. If you live in an area that is at risk of unexpected wildfires, it is good to be prepared. Here are a few tips to prepare your family and home for potential wildfires:

  • Prepare an emergency kit
  • Remove any fire hazards in and around your home. Like debris, dried out branches, and leaves
  • Have a good sprinkler in an accessible area
  • Prepare an emergency plan with your family members. Plan drills and an escape plan
  • Maintain a fully stocked first-aid kit
  • Make sure the home has smoke detectors in all sleeping areas and floors

It is always good to be prepared for the unexpected. SERVPRO of Mission Viejo is here to help. We want everyone to be prepared and to plan ahead.

24/7 Fire Damage Services

1/3/2022 (Permalink)

24/7 Fire Damage - Residential & Commercial

  • 24-Hour, 7-Day Fire Emergency Services
  • Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
  • Highly Trained Restoration Technician
  • A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
  • Locally Owned and Operated

Our professionals will always treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with great care. We have the specialized fire and water damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment to handle fire and water damage and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition.

Your main focus after fire damage should be your safety. Here are a few tips on what to do after a fire:

  • Limit movement
  • Keep your hands clean & avoid touching anything
  • Change HVAC filters
  • Be very careful lifting wet materials as they can be very heavy

Call Us Today - (949) 855-9992

Call SERVPRO of Mission Viejo for any Fire Damages

12/1/2021 (Permalink)

FIRE DAMAGE in Residential or Commercial properties in Mission Viejo.

SERVPRO of Mission Viejo services residential and commercial properties damaged by fire. We do fire clean-ups. We have licensed General Contractors and can do any size reconstruction/restoration work. Until help arrives, please refer to our Fire Damage Tips—Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect you and your property.

The steps listed below demonstrate our process for the “typical” fire damage emergency.

Step 1: Emergency Contact

Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment

Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service

Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (only if water damage is present from firefighter efforts)

Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces

Step 6: Cleaning and Sanitizing

Step 7: Restoration

Visit our Fire Restoration Process to get more information on this step-by-step fire damage process.

Have Questions?  Call Us Today - (949) 855-9992.

Office Fire in San Juan Capistrano

10/1/2021 (Permalink)

In San Juan Capistrano, an electrical box had caused a fire in a residential home office. This before picture shows the damages the fire left behind. Not only was the entire office affected, but the entire home also required fire smoke cleaning due to heavy debris. The homeowners were very worried about the items they thought could not be salvaged. SERVPRO OF MISSION VIEJO attempted to salvage as much of the resident's personal contents as possible and was successful.

SERVPRO OF MISSION VIEJO was called in to clean up and restore the aftermath. The homeowners were amazed and pleased with our quick and prompt services. The residential home was left as if the fire had never even happened. The homeowners were thrilled to be back on their property.